I love lemon drizzle cake it’s so effortlessly simple, and tastes fantastic. You start with a basic sponge recipe and then drizzle it in a deliciously tangy lemon syrup.
- 3 large eggs
- 170g self raising flour
- 170g caster sugar
- 170g unsalted butter (room temperature)
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 lemons (the ones you zested)
- 150g icing sugar
- Grease a bread tin (about 24 x 10.4) & pre-heat your oven to 180C. I like to place of strips of baking parchment horizontally across the bread tin, these will act as handles for removing the cake once cooked.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add the eggs followed by the rest of the cake ingredients. You should be left with a nice smooth cake batter.
- Pour the cake batter into your pan & bake for about 40 minutes.
- While you’re waiting, mix together your icing sugar & lemon juice until totally smooth and pop it to one side.
- After 40minutes check the cake by inserting a skewer (anything pointy and clean) into the middle, if it comes out clean it’s done. If not, give it a few minuets more.
- When it’s ready use your skewer to poke holes all over the cake, all the way down to the bottom. Wait a few minutes till cooled slightly and pour over your lemon glaze.
- I made a little bit of plain icing to drizzle over the cake for effect. I did this using 100g icing sugar with a dribble of water.