For the Cupcakes:
- 340g Plain flour
- 1tsp Baking powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 170g Unsalted butter
- 230g Caster sugar
- 100ml Milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 5 large strawberries
For the Butter Cream:
- 5 Large strawberries mushed or blended
- 170g Butter
- 240g Caster sugar
- 3 Egg Whites
Recipe makes about 16 Cupcakes
1. Preheat oven to 180c and line your cupcake pan with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
3. Next, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add in the vanilla extract. Next, mix in the flour mixture in tree parts, alternating with the milk, and beat until just combined; set aside.
4. In a clean bowl whisk the eggs whites until stiff, glossy peaks form. Then, gently incorporate the egg whites into the mixture.
5. Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake cases, filling each about 2/3 full. Bake for 25minutes or until the cupcakes are golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool.
6. Now for the butter cream. Combine the egg whites and sugar in the heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly by hand until the mixture is warm to the touch and the sugar has dissolved (the mixture should feel completely smooth when rubbed between your fingertips).
7. Remove from heat and continue mixing until the mixture is fluffy and glossy, and completely cool (test by touching the bottom of the bowl), about 10 minutes.
8. Reduce the mixer speed to medium-low and add the butter a few tablespoons at a time, mixing well after each addition. Once all the butter has been added, scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula and beat until all air bubbles are eliminated. Add the strawberry puree and beat until combined. Continue to stir with a rubber spatula until smooth. Keep the buttercream at room temperature if using the same day, or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
9. Now to decorate. Spread or pipe the buttercream onto each cupcake. I added some little sugar craft daisies that I found buying my cupcake cases. Store cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day, or refrigerate for up to 3 days.